E-Commerce Seller Financing • December 2, 2019
You may have heard plenty of successful stories about dropshipping having made millions to e-commerce sellers, which has made you jump on the bandwagon and consider starting your own dropshipping store.
But then you read about the terms and conditions and found out quite a few things that may be worrying you such as:
- Shipping can take up to 20-30 days or even longer. However, you know that customers do not like to wait for their products for several weeks to arrive when they can order them from a competitor site or Amazon and receive within a few days.
- Most dropshipping products come from China. If you’ve looked through dropshipping apps platforms such as Oberlo, you may have come to a conclusion that most products there come from AliExpress, which means that they come from China. And, it’s not uncommon for buyers to expect lower quality products from China. This can be disastrous for your business if it gets associated with low quality.
- Shipping information includes the Chinese business address. So, once more you’re worried about the product quality and your brand image. Moreover, how will buyers remember your store if they don’t even see your branding on the package?
- What would you do about refunds? If your products will be coming from China, how will refunds happen? And who’ll be the one refunding the money?
As a result you may be wondering if you’re late to the party. Is dropshipping dead? Should you drop your idea, or 2020 a good year for dropshipping after all?
So, let’s see what 2020 has in store for you and whether you should pursue your dropshipping idea.
Is Dropshipping Dead?
With a large amount of successful dropshipping business out there, we can assure you that dropshipping is by no means dead. Nonetheless, it’s not the same as it used to be before, and it’s a lot more competitive.
Over the past years, the dropshipping industry has boomed, and it’s much harder to set up and maintain a successful dropshipping store, especially on a smaller scale.
However, if you are willing to work hard, there should be no reason for you not to be able to succeed.
Below are a few tips to help you succeed with dropshipping in 2020.
Dropshipping Is Not Dead; Tips for 2020
1. Carefully Choose Your Niche and Products
Despite the common belief that dropshipping is dead, there is no more room for new dropshipping stores, it’s not necessarily accurate. Even if you source your products from AliExpress, there will be people who will buy from you…
…if they really want your products and your products are worth it.
Therefore, you should carefully select your niche and the products that you offer. Chose products that are in demand and have satisfied customers in the past.
Moreover, always be willing to adapt and change or upgrade your product line if you notice that demand has changed or new models have been released.
2. Consider Different Dropshipping Apps
While Oberlo and AliExpress are some of the most popular places for dropshipping platforms, they are far from being the only ones out there.
Dropshipping apps are evolving along with the industry. Apps like Spocket focus on products from vendors located in the US and EU. As a result, their quality may be higher and shopping times much faster.
Make sure to research various options and see what best meets your preferences and expectations before you launch.
If you are willing to develop your own design, look into print-on-demand stores as well. They not only offer a wide array of products that can feature your designs, but also support your branding.
3. Focus on Building Your Brand
Be ready to work hard. If you expect to sit back and relax while your sales are coming in, chances are that you won’t be able to make it and stay in business. While dropshipping doesn’t require you to physically handle products, there is still plenty that you can do to build your brand and promote your products.
You can focus on developing your own website and social media channels. These will help you attract more people through various platforms.
Consider adding a blog where you write about topics that your buyers may find interesting. For instance if your dropshipping store offers pet products, you can write about various breeds and tips for caring for pets. If you sell smart watches, you can focus on different uses, benefits, features, and brands.
A blog can add more SEO value to your website, and in turn Google may choose to show it to potential buyers above other sites that have not thought of having a blog.
Last, but not least, focus on marketing your brand. Paid advertising, guest blogging, and influencer marketing are only a few options that can help you develop your store, add more credibility, and attract more buyers.
Are you considering dropshipping in 2020? Feel free to let us know if we have not answered some of your doubts or queries. We’ll gladly help as we’d like to see you succeed!